Viral marketing is a sales technique that involves organic or word-of-mouth information about a product or service to spread at an ever-increasing rate. The internet and the advent of social media have greatly increased the number of viral messages in the form of memes, shares, likes, and forwards.
- Genuine: Social media rejects hype, so skip the self-serving corporate line. There’s only one way people will share something with their family and friends – if it’s genuine.
- Free: Simply put, it has to be free.
- Easy: Make your message short and easy to pass on.
- Scalable Don’t let demand outstrip supply by attaching your messaging to limited offerings or short-term sales – you run the risk of running out and disappointing customers.
- Plugged-In: Use existing networks and social media groups.
- Loyalty: -Inspiring Create messaging that engages current customers and attracts new ones, even if that means incentives.